I didn't intend for the reds or greens to line up as they did, but that is how my repeated "random" placement ended up in the final product. It's all good!
The quilt measures 64" W x 84" L---BIG!!! Which works out great for us tall folk. Those are my pink crocs peeking out at the bottom of the picture. I should've had my daughter take a picture of me from that back side so you could see just how big it really is. I was standing up and holding my arms up as high and as wide as I could just to get it to not hang on the ground.
This picture makes it look a bit crooked, but I am sure it it just how I am holding it. Or maybe I should blame the 13 yr. old photographer. ;)
I just did diagonal quilting through ALL squares. I am very happy with how it turned out. And even though I made it so that it would be used, I have felt a little protective of it already this month.Details:
- Cut 4 1/2" squares
- Cut 2" sashing (white) between squares and on the top--3" sashing on the sides
- Cut 3" border (yellow) for entire quilt
- Cut 2 3/4" binding strips--and sew a 3/8" seam (I machine bind, not hand bind)10 squares across by 14 squares down = 140 squares total. (I maybe should have gone 11 by 13, but oh well...I'm still learning)
- I used 18 different prints or solids. Mostly fat quarter pkgs. from Jo-Ann Fabrics.
I also made a little doll quilt (23" x 17") just to use up the remainder of the remainder. I used a disappearing 9 patch pattern. (It is 2 complete 9 patch down and 1 1/2 - 9 patch across). So now there are no more Christmas scraps floating around my sewing room. Whew!!
Stay warm and cozy this December holiday season!!