Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Advent Calendar Ala Oh, Fransson! Version #2

I got a preview a couple weeks ago of Emily's Advent Calendar and decided that I, too, needed one of these. For various reasons I've gotten rid of all others that I've had previously. We've made our own "advent" chains with candy each day and I really didn't want to do that. With all the fun little pockets we can do some days with candy treats and other days with something else.

My color choices are a little less subtle than Emily's, but as our mom would say, "To each his own."

I do have to say that I am not good with randomness. As I was working on this I had a hard time mixing it up and making sure it remained random looking. I had Hubby come and look at it once I had it where I thought I wanted it and he was less than helpful.

Hubby: "Is it supposed to look so chaotic?"
Me: "You mean random? Yes."
Hubby: Immediately he responded, "It looks great then", and walked off.

Later:
Hubby: "Why are the numbers not in order?"
Me: "Because I wanted them that way."
Hubby: "....O.K...." (remember that Hubby is an engineer--they don't think randomly--they think extremely, extremely precise)

He also asked me why I didn't do 25 squares instead of 24 and then I could have it be 5 across by 5 down. Of course, he mentioned that after everything was already organized and partially sewn. But it is something you may want to think about.

Here's what finally came to pass with my struggle for randomness.

At this stage in my life I don't do fancy quilting. Straight lines, like topstitching, are what I do best. I may eventually try and practice the free motion quilting, but not for now.

Back view: Besides the dowel corners that Oh, Fransson! recommended I added a center loop just to make sure the calendar wouldn't sag while it is hanging up and all filled.

Close-up of the dowel and holder.
My adjustments:
1. Bought 3 fat quarter bundles packs from Jo-Ann Fabrics, plus 4 more fat quarter pieces. (This is WAY more than what you need, but it worked out for what I wanted to do and I used coupons to cut the price down.) I've been working on a Christmas quilt from the remaining pieces. Will post that later on.
2. Also cut 5" squares--I don't like to think in 1/2" measurements.
3. Cut 2" sashing.

Stay tuned in the following days for some suggestions on what to fill the pockets with. We've been brainstorming and hope to give you some good ideas.

10 comments:

  1. I love your bright colors... very pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these! You should consider making some to sell to those of us who are quilt/sewing retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I like the scrappy, random look. I'm a straight line quilter myself most of the time. I love topstitching. Off topic, I love that snowball quilt in your sidebar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks Renae! I'll be doing straight lines, too. Whenever I actually finish it. Maybe I will do 25 squares. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable!! I really want to make one of these for my sister and her boys. I think they would love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is delightful and I think you did a great job! The bit with your Hubby is a hoot! Reminds me of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great! I like it 'random' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this? I love it. So happy with all the color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you have a pattern for this? It's so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.sewmamasew.com/store/media/blog/SMSAdventCalendar.pdf

      This is the link to the pdf tutorial. It is super easy to make and the directions are pretty straight forward.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...