Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The "Receiving Blanket" Blanket

Here's an idea that I got from our mom.

We had one of these blankets when we were growing up. I don't remember any one kid being particularly fond of the blanket, but it was always in mom's stash. She used old receiving blankets (that we all have and our babies quickly outgrow) to make it. Through all of my babies I kept thinking "when I'm done having kids I'm going to make one of those blankets."

I dutifully used and reused my blankets for each baby and saved them away for "later." I'm not exactly sure when "later" happened, but now we have this great blanket just like mom's.



My youngest daughter, now 3, has adopted it for "her" blankie and gets pretty nasty when anyone else tries to touch it. I love it because it is so soft, big, and not super heavy. When it needs a wash I just toss it in with my whites and bleach the heck out if it. Other than the fact that it's faded, it's still well loved by the girl.

So here's what I did: I had 7 blankets. I used 4 for the top and 3 for the bottom. I just stitched them together to make different patterns for each side and then sewed the two larger pieces together with right sides facing.




I left an opening for turning right sides out and finished it off by top stitching it. I didn't put anything in between, just the blankets. Super Easy Project! I love that I could do a bit of recycling, too.


Finished blanket measures 48" square.

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I've got lots of those little receiving blankets all stuffed in a drawer. I didn't know what to do with them, but I didn't want to throw them away either. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a totally cool idea. It'll be years before I'll be ready to make it, but I've copied and pasted this so I can remember it down the road when the time comes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great way to use those old blankies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this - it's always the simplest things that become so special.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...