Monday, April 7, 2008

Yummy Crescent Rolls

My kids love crescent rolls, and usually devour the packages that we buy from the store. We found this recipe in one of our magazines and finally made the recipe. The kids were thrilled, because #1--they made HUGE rolls, and #2--they taste better than the store bought kind.

The only drawback is that they do take time--which is only for the yeast to raise. So you have to be prepared and start them around lunch time in order to have them for dinner. Actually I started these yesterday for our dinner--at about 2 p.m. thinking that would be plenty of time since it said to let it raise for 3 hrs. Well, once I got them going and starting to raise I read the rest of the recipe and after you roll them out they raise ANOTHER 2-3 hrs. So I took my bowl, covered it with plastic and stuck it in the fridge until this morning when I pulled it back out to start the raising process. It worked. So...Enjoy!! We sure did!

Crescent Rolls
1 scant tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup warm water*
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup warm milk*
5 cups flour, more as needed
1/2 cup butter, melted

1. In a small bowl, mix the yeast, tablespoon of sugar, and warm water. Set aside for three to four minutes, allowing the yeast to activate. In a separate bowl, mix the salt, oil, and 1/2 cup sugar. Stir in the yeast mixture. Add the eggs and warm milk. Slowly stir in the flour. Add an additional 1/2 to 1 cup of flour if the dough is too sticky to form a ball.

2. Cover the dough and let it rise for three or four hours.

3. Divide the dough into two pieces. Roll each piece into a circle about 1/4-inch thick. Brush the dough with melted butter. Slice the dough like a pizza into 12 wedges and roll up each wedge from the wide end to the narrow end. Place the rolls on baking sheets with the narrow tip of dough tucked underneath. Cover the rolls with a clean dish towel and let them rise for another two or three hours.

4. Brush the tops of the rolls lightly with butter and bake them for 10 minutes at 375°F (190°C). Makes 2 dozen.

*Must be 110°–112°F (43°–44°C) for the yeast to activate. (Liquid should feel warm to the touch.)

"Kitchen Krafts", Friend, Nov. 2007, pg. 27

5 comments:

  1. i got my package... thanks renae! they are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome...I'd like to try

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look HUGE and yummy! Surely they were better than my wal-mart ones I had for dinner..they were only okay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look WONDERFUL!!! I will have to try them because we like crescent rolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you tried these out. I was wondering if the recipe was any good - I don't buy them because they are so darned expensive. My kids think they're candy. I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...