Towards the end of the year I was cleaning out my sewing closet when I came across my pile of batting scraps. Ugh! I'm not a mug rug, mini quilt swapping kinda gal, so what the heck am I'm going to do with all those small odd shaped pieces? Well, I knew... I'd done it before. Frankenbatting!
In a moment of pure craziness on my part I decided to use EVERYTHING in the pile. No skinny/small scrap left out! I wanted to see how big I could get it. I mean, have you noticed the price of Warm and Natural these days?! I must of saved myself at least 20 bucks! :)
Well, I got it big, alright! Big enough that I used it for this quilt. WooHoo!
But when I showed it to my husband he just shook his head. I'm sure he was thinking something along the lines of "Wow, look how resourceful my wife is!" rather than "This confirms that Emily has lost her marbles!" Either way I was happy to get rid of "the pile" that was taking up residence in my closet. It felt very satisfying!
The good news is, I don't use enough batting to necessitate making this but once a year. Thank heavens!! It's a bit tedious.
For the record: I don't butt the pieces side by side, but rather just overlap them a 1/2 inch or so. (easiest method for me!) I haven't ever experienced any negative effects from using this technique--no noticeable bulges in my quilts. But I wouldn't recommend using frankenbatting with a quilt that has an abundance of white/light colored fabrics. Then you might notice the seems. ...just my two cents!