They picked out the colors and slightly fought over who would wear which one. The lady who helped us cut fabric at Jo-Ann's convinced them which color looked best on each. Heaven forbid they should listen to their mother's opinion. Just glad it worked out and they were both happy.
These were their Easter dresses, and they wore them even though the temps were in the 30's (you can't tell from these pics) and the wind was super cold.
I really like this with the bow.
Daughter #1 with my oldest son and his "new" suit from his cousin.
3/4 sleeve hem.
And here is how the invisible zipper looks with the lace/satin combo.
They received quite a few compliments at church. Lots loved the colors and others loved the "retro" feel of the dresses. I didn't think we were doing anything all that retro, but I'm just happy that they are pleased with how their dresses turned out.
- Used pattern Butterick 5706
- We had to take the dress in quite a bit on the sides at the waist so that it would look more fitted. And this was after the back darts too. I don't know if it was just the pattern or because my girls swim and they have broader shoulders and need a different size there than in the waist.
- Made a bow for each but daughter #1 didn't wear hers this time.
- Invisible zipper
- Blind hem stitch on the satin layer.
- Added a facing to the neckline instead of how the instructions indicated.