Wednesday, October 26, 2011

It's going to freeze tonight...again...

...and I've decided I'm done covering up my tomatoes.  I cover them about 2 or 3 times before I decide that I'll just pick whatever I have left hanging on and figure out what to do with them.



I had a lot hanging on. 
Now I get to figure out what to do with it all.
I did give some to my neighbor and she told me how she fries up her green tomatoes.  I am so going to try that.
You can also use green tomatoes in the Tomatillo Green Salsa recipe.

Or you can make mincemeat using green tomatoes.
I am down to my last 2 jars, so I'm pretty sure I'll be doing some of this.
But not this week yet.
After Halloween and class parties are done.
Then I'll be up for some canning.

3 comments:

  1. Ive seen some canning the green tomato slices to use for future fried ones. They are a bit more tender when you do that so you have to be careful but I think if you like that sort of thing, its a great idea to save them that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in an area where the tomatoes didn't have a chance to ripen much. We read somewhere that you should pull the plant up (by the root), pull off the leaves, and hang it upside-down somewhere inside. They ripened naturally that way and we didn't have bazillions of green tomatoes to deal with. In case you want to try it next year...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...