Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tomatillo Green Salsa to Can

The forecast for our area is overnights in the low 30's by the end of the week. That means any garden stuff that is still growing will most likely be frostbitten later this weekend. I still have quite a few tomatoes, albeit mostly green ones, on my plants. Usually I cover my tomatoes once or twice in the Fall before I give up and let the frost take over. However, I am feeling a little lazy about that, even though it does make me crazy to think of them going to waste.

So here is a recipe for canning Tomatillo Green Salsa, which is a favorite with our cousin Tiffany and her family. This is a good year-end garden recipe as it says you can use green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. Perfect for my situation right now.


Note:
Tiffany doubles the recipe and uses green bell peppers instead of green chili peppers. And she then also uses serrano peppers instead of jalapeño--but DOES NOT double the amount of serranos in her recipe.

She also adds 1 bunch of cilantro--chopped up finely--to a double batch recipe. The original recipe doesn't call for that, but you could add it if you like that flavor. Or you could also add it fresh when you open a jar.

I did double the jalapeños when I doubled my batches because even when doubling the recipe it is only 1 cup of jalanpeños. That is nothing, in my opinion, for 10 pints of salsa.


The canning directions are for 15 minutes in a Hot water bath canner. I used my Pressure Canner instead, as I can double stack pints in mine and therefore do all 10 pints at once. I pressured it at 6# for 10 minutes.

Tiffany uses this salsa for the 2 recipes listed below. She says it is also good made fresh, she just uses lime juice instead of lemon juice if making a fresh batch. Note: You cannot use lime juice when canning. It isn't acidic enough.
__________________________
Mexican Pulled Pork
3-5 lbs. pork roast
1 pint Tomatillo Green Salsa
1 c. brown sugar

Combine all in crockpot and cook 6 hrs. on HIGH or 10 hrs. on LOW.
Pull pork apart.
Serve in tortillas for tacos.
__________________________
4 Bean Salsa Soup
1 pint each: (or a 15 oz. can) all UNDRAINED
White Beans
Black Beans
Kidney Beans
Pinto Beans
Tomatillo Green Salsa
Stewed tomatoes

Dump all together in a saucepan.
Heat.
Serve with tortilla chips and sour cream.
_____________________________________
You can also try the recipe from Ball® Canning for their version of Tomatillo Salsa. This recipe can also be found in the Ball® Complete Book of Home Preserving on pg. 212. And there is a slightly different version for Roasted Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa on pg. 213.
Here's a couple other places to look for green tomato recipes.
Google "canning recipes green tomato" and you'll come up with all sorts of hits.
Tipnut--25 different green tomato recipes from pickles, relishes, chutneys, soups....

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...