Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Bartering is SOOOOO Underrated

I don't know if you've ever exchanged with anyone, but I really think that bartering is underrated.  We should all try it more often if we're able to.  One of my oldest daughter's friends babysits every other weekend for a couple with 2 little boys in exchange for weekly piano lessons.  One of my daughters would like to do the same thing, only with guitar lessons.  We're working on that.  I've certainly trading babysitting services with friends over the years myself. 

Once I made living room curtains for a friend of mine in exchange for a crib.  She was done with it, I needed one, and she didn't know how to sew.  We were both thrilled with the exchange and both felt that we were taking advantage of each other.  In my opinion that is a sign of a good barter. 

More recently I've been doing some sewing for my friend Shelly.  In exchange she lets me come make cards at her house for free (Actually she will even make them for me if I want--which I have done on occasion; however, I like the social aspect of going to her home with a group of ladies for a couple hours).  About 5 or 6 times a year she does a Saturday morning card making session--and she provides EVERYTHING!!!  You go home with about 15 beautiful handmade cards of various styles and varieties, without having to buy all the stamps, punches, paper, etc.  She already has it, which makes my hubby happy that I don't have additional stamping stuff in my already too cramped sewing room.

This past weekend she had a card day and here are the cute cards we made.


I recently made a LR pillow for her, and am now moving on to some pillows for her youngest daughter's bedroom.

So if you haven't bartered for goods or services I encourage you to find someone you'd like to trade with.  I'm sure you'll both be pleased with the end result.

3 comments:

  1. I love bartering and have bartered in the past. I found this site that you might like I'm working on getting thing made up for me to swap.
    http://whoopdwhoop.com/
    I'd love to know what you think about it.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't quite bartering, but I traded a quilt for a painting. I really admired a friend's painting skills and so we traded. We both felt we got the better deal. The painting makes me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more worth it to me to barter than to receive money from family/ friends. I was going to fix a shirt of my brother in laws for free but when he came to get it he brought me some candy. Now I love candy and that was way worth it to me. and I don't know how to knit but my sister in law does so she made me some dish cloths and I sewed her some things for her boys. I really felt like I was getting the better deal there.
    Now the piano lessons is a great idea, I would love to work out something like that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...