Monday, December 17, 2012

Lemon-Honey Jelly {Gift for the Teachers)

I don't know about you but sometimes we are good about giving the kids' teachers a nice gift for Christmas and sometimes we're not.  Usually I just wait until the end of the year to thank them for dealing with having my kids during the year.

This year I am little more inspired for the two elementary teachers.  I've been perusing some canning books from my local library to get a feel for anything new I might want to try.  Found a fun book from BH&G called Can It!.  I decided to try the recipe for Lemon-Honey Jelly.  I am a huge honey fan, especially on homemade bread.  So I thought the combo of these 2 would be so yummy and fun to give to the teachers for a little Christmas gift.



Some other recipes from this book that I want to try are:
  • Tangerine Marmalade, pg. 77
  • Lime-Kiwi Freezer Jam, pg. 123 (already made this and it is FABULOUS!)
  • Spiced Peaches (next summer), pg. 141
  • Farmer's Market Corn Salsa, pg. 159
Notes:
  • I used a zester instead of a vegetable peeler to remove the peel.
  • Scooped out the cooked zest and foam with a mesh colander instead of a spoon since the zest was so tiny.
  • I was able to can 6 half-pints and not 5.
  • And after licking the spoon when I was all done I am REALLY looking forward to eating some of this myself with homemade bread.  It is delicious!  The recipe says to wait 2 weeks before eating to let it set up good.

1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds like it would be really good. Always fun to try new things, but I have a list of staples that I need to do after the Holidays--cherry pie filling, minestrone soup, chicken are for starters. Enjoy this jelly. M

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...