That is what happened with this dress.
Had I used a different style and pattern I would've had enough but #3 wanted this particular dress and so I had to "wing it" a bit. Not enough of the bird print to get the entire dress. So I substituted one front panel with some red dotted Swiss to make it appear to be an "apron", added an upper band at the empire seam for the apron band and Voila! she is happy with it.
- Simplicity 5645--used this same pattern for #3's Easter dress in 2012
- Heidi Grace fabric that I probably bought at the thrift store. Design is "We are Family".
- Topstitched rickrack to each side of the "apron" panel to make it appear more like an apron and not like I had run out of fabric.
- Added band at empire waist to create the illusion of waistband of the "apron". It is attached into the side seams and seam attaching bodice to skirt.
- Once again I didn't put elastic in the sleeve hem but added a contrasting band by gathering the sleeve edge onto it.
- Added tiny piping to the faced neckline. Just sandwiched it between the bodice and facing pieces. And then topstitched it all down.
- Finished the skirt hem edge like I do quilt bindings. It gives it some body and shape too.