Sunday, May 30, 2010

Scrappy (Nine Patches) Makes Me Happy

Sat down with the hubs and a couple of movies over the weekend and bound my monster scrap nine patch that I started a year ago.


It reminds me of quilters past who cut up/recycled/never wasted/used up every bit of fabric they had.
Somewhere I heard this: Pioneer/frontier women would buy fabric at the general store for clothes. After their clothing was unusable, they'd make a quilt out of the fabric. When the quilt was unusable they'd cut it up and use it to make braided rugs. When the rugs were unusable they'd burn them for fuel in their fires. Then they'd take the ash from the fires and use it when they made candles and soap for their homes. How's that for not wasting a thing?!

If I've said it once, I'll say it again, scrappy quilts really do make me happy. That's why I'm naming this one Scrappy Makes Me Happy.

I LOVE the back a LOT! I might even like it better than the front.
(I'm not afraid to say that I totally ripped off Ashley's design from her nine patch.)


You can read more about this quilt here.


I'll leave you with a picture of a Scrap Nine Patch done by my husband's Grandma. She has since passed away, but her beautiful quilting lives on (all hand done!).

This one is over 50 years old. She used it on her beds underneath her spreads. When my MIL showed this to me last year I about fell over. It really is still beautiful after all these years, despite some repairs. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get to inherit one of her old beauties sometime down the road...

6 comments:

  1. I've never heard that pioneer story. That is so cool. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt turned out beautiful! (I love the location of the photo.)

    I've heard that story (part of it anyway) and it really goes to show us how wasteful we are now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how you did the back on this. i was stunned to read how they really wasted nothing. that is amazing. i know i could learn a lesson from that. i need to finish mine...still in pieces from when the quilt a long began last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting pioneer story.

    Both quilts are nice but I love the "antique ambiance" of the older one :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really great.
    Those scrappy quilts make me (and my kids) happy too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! It really is perfectly scrappy and super cute.
    I have to ask though, how on earth did you get your backing so centered?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...