Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Home Canned Black Bean Soup

I canned a batch of soup over the weekend. Part of my crew was pheasant hunting and it was rainy. So it turned out to be a great time to do some canning.

This is the first time I have tried Black Bean Soup, pg. 177 from The Amish Canning Cookbook.  (It looks like this link will give you a good sampling of the recipes from this book.)



This soup recipe includes black beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, onions.  Looking forward to eating this with some tortilla chips and sour cream.

Notes:
  • I was able to get 10 quarts worth of soup instead of 6 as indicated by the recipe.  And I followed it exactly.
  • Instead of putting the beans in the jars first and separate from the other ingredients I combined everything and then put them in the jars.
  • I canned some in pints so that I would have smaller portions for lunch, and in case the rest of my family doesn't like it.
  • Check your local library to see if they have the book.  I was mostly interested in their soup recipes although there was lots of different recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...