Friday, October 25, 2013

Canning Split Pea Soup

Two weekends ago it decided to cool down here in Minnesota.  We had been enjoying unseasonably warmer weather for Fall, which was fine with me.  But now that we are cooling down it is time to can some soups.

I am pretty much the only one in my family who will eat split pea soup.
I don't care.
I like it.
Even if it does look "gross" per the kids.
I'll give them that much
But when I can it in pint jars it is just about the perfect amount for one serving--ME, for lunch.



I just canned some more Chili this week too.
Stocking up for the cold months ahead.
Now we just need a deer or two from our hunters and I'll can some venison chunks for stews.

Notes:
  • I used the recipe from the Ball Blue Book, pg. 65, "Split Pea Soup".  I doubled the recipe and got 11 pints.
  • I don't thicken mine any more than the recipe indicates when cooking it before canning because it thickens up quite a bit once it is all pressure canned.
  • This recipe has split peas, ham chunks, carrots and allspice.
  • Canning Homemade also has a recipe for a slightly different version of split pea soup.
  • 1 - 1 pound bag of dried split peas is equal to 2 cups dry uncooked for those of you who prefer to buy in bulk (which is usually cheaper).
  • If you need some good soup recipes to can--those you can dump and heat up--try The Amish Canning Cookbook.  I checked it out from my local library and found some yummy recipes.

1 comment:

  1. I canned black bean soup and John really liked it--I haven't tried it yet. The split pea soup looks really good so I will do some after vacation because we both really like it. Soups are the best, aren't they? Oh yes, and I will also do minestrone and then our soup stash will be ready. M

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...