Here are the basics to making your own bubble ruffle hem skirt.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric 9" wide by 1.75 times the width of the bottom of the skirt piece. i.e. 17 inch skirt would have ruffle piece of approx. 30 inches long.
- Sew short edges of ruffle together, RST, so that you make a large loop.
- Fold the ruffle piece in half, forming a fold on one long edge and the raw edges matching. DO NOT press.
- To form the "bubble" you shift the raw edges about 2 inches so that the the short sewn side seams are NOT matching. It will appear like it is twisting a bit.
- Then you put in your gathering stitches.
- Gather and attach to the bottom of the skirt.
They only wanted me to make the top and the bubble skirt, but while I had the pattern in my possession I also made the pleated version. I used some funky tie-dye that I had done myself after having a bunch of dye left over from some other tie-dye project.
I think it will look cute with a turquoise or a purple tee.
- B. is a size 8 and I only used 1 yd. of 45" wide fabric to make this.
- I added about 3-4" to the length of the skirt pattern so it would at least hit her knees.