Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Family Reunion Quilt

Here is a variation to my kids' handprint quilt that we did last week at our family reunion. Its nothing special or extrodinary other than it includes all 33 members of our family on it.


I wanted something fun and easy that everyone could do regardless of their age. It was a last minute project. Now that it's done, I'm brimming with ideas on how it could've been improved... Maybe next reunion!



My squares are 10" (25.4 cm) and the sashing is 2.5" wide (6.4 cm) before sewing. We have 33 people in our family including our parents, siblings, in-laws, nieces, and nephews. I made the quilt 5 squares by 7 squares.

Here is what Renae embroidered on the two "extra" squares.





I used this lodge-looking print for the sashing since we spent 4 days at a cabin in the mountains. I think it works perfectly.

I brought paints in different colors so everyone could take turns adding their hands and writing their names on the quilt. I made everyone go in birth/family order so that it wouldn't be completely random. (I like order! :)

Everyone was good sports about adding their hands.

I have a really great lodge-looking print for the back. I'll post a picture of the finished quilt...whenever I get it done.

Anyone else have other ideas for a "Reunion"or "Anniversary" style quilt? My in-laws 50th Wedding Anniversary is next spring and I'm trying to come up with something for them. That side of the family doesn't do crafty, so it needs to be something I can do on my own or easy (like this quilt) for everyone to be involved in. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

EDITED: FINISHED QUILT CAN BE FOUND HERE

14 comments:

  1. I saw a craft similar to this, but the woman ebroidered around the hand shapes right onto the cloth, I could find the link for it if you like. How about a photo quilt? You can print your photos onto photo material, and make a memory quilt using your favorite photos from their married life together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS IDEA!! I'll definitely be featuring it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for these last 2 posts. The umbrella girls is a pattern that has been done several times through the years in my family and I still love it everytime I see it.
    I'm curious what you would improve on with the handprint quilt? It is real neat. I grew up 1/2 hr. from Island Park. I love Eastern Idaho!
    For an idea, perhaps have everyone pick their favorite fabric or their family's favorites then make them into the raw edge blocks and quilt that crazy mom quilts made. Let me know if you want the link.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks fab! but still missing marg's hands

    bethany

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really fantastic!!

    brilliant idea- thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. An idea for anniversary quilt would be to make a family tree applique on it and add pictures of each family member on their branch, may involve too much but would look really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. we made a quilt for my grandparents for their 50th and in the middle was a picture of them and then all of the fmailies sent pictures that she had put on fabric and made a quilt with all of the pictures everyone sent, it turned out beautiful! just an idea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for your answer to my comment. I had sen the reunion quilt already. I like that you sewed it all together before the reunion. I like the effect of the paint, just a bit worried about 12 children under 9 years doing it. Plus we have some who are out of town and won't be there. That's why I thought of the tracing of the hands. The birthday is good too, but I think the age will be what I have them put. We'll see. I'll send pictures after we do it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this ideal, my family reunion is 2015 will try this thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. What kind of paint did you use and what did you have them write with? I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same question bc I'm doing a handprint quilt for my son's kindergarten teacher. She is moving away and I wanted something special for her to have. I don't know what kind of paint and pens will work the best. Any advice? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same question bc I'm doing a handprint quilt for my son's kindergarten teacher. She is moving away and I wanted something special for her to have. I don't know what kind of paint and pens will work the best. Any advice? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful idea. What kind of fabric and paint is best to use?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...