Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gardening Party Apron

I made the aprons for my daughter's Gardening Party Birthday using the Deep Pockets apron pattern from the book A is for Apron. (see pg. 55-57)

**I orignally saw this book at Jo-Ann's, browsed thru it there, and then reserved it and checked it out from my local library before going back and buying it with a 40% off coupon. That was actually cheaper than buying it on Amazon.

I tweaked the pattern some and made some adjustments as I was going along. Hopefully, if you decide to make this pattern, this will help you avoid some of those things.

Instead of enlarging the pattern 400% for an adult size, per the directions in the book, I only enlarged it 350% and it worked out great for a child's size apron.

One - 4 yd. package of 1/4" double fold bias tape was enough to bind the inner curved edges on the pockets for all 8 aprons, with about 16" left over. If you were really good and careful I am sure you could get one more for a total of 9 aprons. (At 350% plan on 17" of bias tape per apron for the 2 pocket edges.)

The pattern originally called for a small piece of bias tape on the side edge, then with right sides together sew the body of the apron, trim, clip curves, and turn and press. I decided I didn't want that. So instead, after having cut the pieces out, I cut the little piece that jutted out and blended it into the curve of the apron. I hope this makes sense. See pics below.

This shows the back and pocket pieces pinned together.I then used the 1/4" double fold bias tape and enclosed both pieces--apron and pocket--along the entire outer curve of the apron. With such skinny bias tape make sure your two pieces are perfectly matched. I had to trim down one or the other in a couple spots so that I could get both pieces sandwiched in the bias tape. Pin the pieces to hold them together if need be. And/or pin the bias tape in place too.

One - 4 yd. package of 1/4" double fold bias tape was enough to bind the entire outer curved edge of 4 aprons--with 17" left over.

I decided that 1/2" double fold bias tape would be better for the ties than 1/4" bias tape. One - 3 yd. package of the extra wide double fold bias tape (1/2") was enough for ties on two aprons. (Cut 1 1/2 yd. lengths for the waistband and ties) Just remember to backstitch a bit at both edges of the apron and again where the pocket piece connects into the waistband as these would be the spots where it would most likely pull out from wear and tear.

The pattern calls for you to sew through all layers right down the middle of the apron/pocket in order to form two pocket sections. We chose not to do this with this size apron, but I would most likely do it on a larger apron.

If you're worried about applying bias tape, or have never done it before, click HERE for an easy tutorial from Wrights --they are the bias tape company.

This project cost me $7 in bias tape (7 pkgs. all on clearance for $.97/pkg.) Had there been more floral fabric I might have considered making my own bias tape, at least for the top waistband and ties.

I used about 1 yd. each of both the chambray and the floral.

$1.50-$2.00/yd. on the floral (I can't remember for sure.)
Chambray denim--free
Total cost for 8 aprons: $10.00

Here's all the little girlies with their finished plant pots and aprons.


  1. this apron is so daughter would love one...who am i kidding, i would love one too!

  2. These are so cute, Renae. One of my favorite projects of yours. i just really love that style of apron. and it looks so easy

  3. I love how little they are on the girls. Makes them even cuter!

  4. Sounds like a very fun party! They look so pleased with themselves. Tiffany



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...