This was also another exercise in getting out of my comfort zone.
I've never made blocks this big, or with this big of a print fabric.
I was really nervous that I wouldn't even like it when it was all said and done.
I'm happy to report that "it's all good in the 'hood."
Mission accomplished: quilt top completed and I really like it....a lot.
It took some finagling with the placement and discussion over the little corner blocks but in the end I am really please with how it turned out.
Next step: to find the perfect backing to go with it. I already know I don't have anything in my stash that will compliment this very well.
- Fabric is Hand Drawn Garden by Anna Maria Horner
- Pattern is a modification of "Sweet Life", pgs. 74-79 from Simply Retro by Camille Roskelly.
- I made the blocks as she indicated, finishing at 18 inches square.
- Cut 3 1/2 inch strips for both border and sashing out of white, and the center squares of solid color.
- I also only did a 3 x 4 pattern instead of 4 x 4 as she did. That was mainly because of what fabric I had in my stash. Plus I do not love square quilts if I can avoid it.
- Flickr group of this pattern book found HERE.
- The finished top is 66 inches wide by 87 inches