Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Wheat Free Zucchini Bread

I happened upon this version by accident.
Hubby has been bringing home LARGE zucchinis from work.  Apparently a few people are bringing their extras (you know how zucchini can overtake everything in your garden) and then leaving them out for others to enjoy.  We have been enjoying them, for sure.

I made some zucchini bread for us and then needed to make a loaf for our #2 daughter who needs a wheat free diet.  The recipe I normally use makes 2 loaves and since I was messing around with a recipe I didn't want to possibly waste 2 loaves if it didn't turn out, so I used another recipe I had but had never made before.

Here it is:
Sorry no pictures but I forgot and they all got eaten.

Wheat Free Zucchini Bread
Mix together:
  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
Add:
  • 2 1/2 cups WonderFlour (this is not a GF flour, but you could substitute your AP GF flour instead)
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. Xantham gum
  • 2 cups peeled, seeded, shredded zucchini
Mix well.  Spoon batter into greased loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.  Makes 1 loaf.

I turned these into zucchini muffins for my daughter instead of a loaf since she is the only one eating this version.  That way we can freeze them and she can grab one when she wants. It makes about 21 muffins (filled 3/4 full) and I baked them for about 30 minutes.

Notes:
  • WonderFlour is a combination of equal parts spelt, brown rice, and pearled barley ground into a flour mix.  You can order it online, but I grind my own.  I buy those items bulk at my local Whole Foods Market.  You can call ahead and they will order 25# bags, for example, and then you also get a 10% discount for ordering bulk.
  • The first time we made these muffins I used applesauce instead of the oil and the taste was fine as was the texture.  
  • I normally use stoneware pans and find that I have to bake my items a bit longer than the recommended baking times.  Usually an additional 10-15 minutes on loaves.  Maybe 5 more minutes on the muffins.
________________________

The original recipe had additionally:
1 tsp. lemon peel
reduced cinnamon to 1/2 tsp.
1/4 tsp. orange extract (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional--which I am usually the only one at my house that wants nuts in the bread)
and then obviously no Xanthum gum and regular AP flour

1 comment:

  1. This looks yummy. I haven't made zucchini bread in a long time, but I did make my regular banana bread recipe that I've had for years and used wonder flour instead of regular flour and it was just as good. Whatever I have made with wonder flour instead of regular flour has been just as good or better. M

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...