Monday, August 26, 2013

Drawstring Backpack

The other day my oldest son showed me this backpack that he had found on Pinterest.  Then he proceeded to ask me if I could make one for him.  Well.... first of all he may need to be banned from Pinterest as I don't need any more inspirational pins to add to my to do list.  Second, the pin site and instructions are in German.  And thirdly, I'd rather not make the pattern if I already have one that is close enough to satisfy me or my kids.

So he picked out some neon orange lightweight denim-ish fabric from my stash.
I found a pattern from my stash that is very similar to the pin and I got to work.
We edged it, and lined it with royal blue broadcloth--also from the stash.
It took longer than both he and I would've liked, but that was due to other things occurring at our house that took precedent over the backpack that he doesn't really need, but just wants.



Straps are not adjustable, per his request.



Details:
  • Butterick 6678, view A (discontinued)
  • 1/4 inch double fold bias tape (from the stash) for outside edging of pockets.
  • Bought D-ring buckles for the closures on the pockets and made the straps.
  • Bought 12 ct. gold eyelet (grommet) kit using Jo-Ann's 50% coupon.  

Basic dimensions:
  • Cut front and back pieces 19 1/2 inches wide by 18 1/2 inches tall.
  • Fold over top hem 1 3/4 inches to form drawstring band.
  • To make the bottom oval piece cut 14 7/8 inches by 7 7/8 inches and round the corners.
  • I made the straps to fit the D-rings that I bought--about 1 1/4 inches wide finished.  
  • Pocket and flap you can adjust sizing as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...