For a long time now I've been trying to use up scraps that I have while cleaning out my sewing room. I'm making some headway, I think....I hope....anyway....back to the subject. After making a number of baby quilts I wanted to try something different other than the basic 36 square kid quilt I've done most of the summer. (I'll be posting later about some donation quilts I've been working on with the young women from Church.) So I based this little baby quilt off of Leslie's Zig Zag Quilt and this tutorial.
This is what I started with, all 6" squares:
12 squares of Red Plaid
20 squares of Airplane print
14 squares of Tan Check
18 squares of Navy Polka Dot
I then had to cut them all down to 3" x 5 1/2" rectangles.
Then it was just a matter of laying it out and trying to see what I liked. You'll notice that I'm missing some Red Plaid sections at the bottom right.
I had extra Airplane print and Navy, but the other two fabrics I completely used and even had to piece slightly at the end after squaring off the points of 2 sides. This was a little more putzing around than I normally like; however, I do love how the quilt turned out.
I decided to go ahead and put a border around it to make it slightly bigger, and because I had plenty of brushed denim for the backing.
I don't know that I LOVE the color of the border (or maybe it is because it is too close to the color of my rug). It matches more closely with parts of the Airplane Print. However, since this is a scrap quilt I didn't want to go buy anything new--so I just used what I already had.
Navy binding and all complete. O.K. the border looks better out in the natural sunlight. That's good.
Last photo courtesy of Mr. 4 yr. old who wanted to help so badly. Taken while he was standing up on the swingset tower.