Either way we went back to check it out and besides the pork deal ($1.29/lb. packs) we bought 5 - 3.5 lb. packages of drumsticks for $1.99/pkg. Yep, $9.95 for 17.5 lbs. of chicken. Love it! It was too bad there weren't any thigh packs. We would've bought all of them too. Canning chicken thighs is even easier than canning legs.
Yesterday I decided I would go ahead and can all those legs so that we'd have some chicken ready to go down the road for chicken noodle soup, enchiladas, chicken salad sandwiches or whatever we felt like. And our upright freezer is starting to get a little crowded. Hubby is still hoping to bag another deer before the season is over, so really I should make some room.
Happy day all seven quarts sealed!
Used 4 - 3.5 lb. pkgs of chicken legs for 7 qts.
Directions in the Ball Blue Book pg. 61.
- Raw packed legs--I only removed the skin.
- 1 tsp. salt per quart jar.
- Hot water in jar leaving 1" head space.
- Remove air bubbles and adjust lid.
- Pressure can 1 hr. 15 min.at 10# pressure for bone-in chicken in qts. or 1 hr. 5 min. for pints. Adjust pressure for altitude as needed. Boneless chicken is 1 hr. 30 min. for qts. or 1 hr. 15 min. for pints.