Thursday, December 22, 2011

I Spy a pair of quilts

Emily and I participated in a fabric swap with Sew in Peace the first part of October.  This was the first time that I've done a fabric swap like this.  It was SO MUCH FUN!! 

I ended up with enough squares to make 2 1/2 "I Spy" quilts.  It was great!
Quilt #1
With part of the fabric squares I made a quilt for our 4 yr. old nephew for his Christmas present. (We draw family names).

5" cut blocks
9 blocks across
11 blocks down
3 borders--blue cut 2" strips, white cut 1 1/2" strips, orange cut 3" strips
Thrifted striped sheet for the backing (His favorite color is blue)
Blue from the stash for the binding.

One of the most fun parts for me is that we put together a laminated "I Spy" list for him and sent along with the quilt.  That way he can have his mom and dad help him hunt for items. 

My kids had fun too looking for different items to put on his list before we wrapped it up and sent it off.

Quilt #2
which was more like "I Spy on the fly".

I had more than enough squares to make another quilt and decided my 6 yr. old son could use a bigger blanket than the one he currently loves.  After doing 9 rows by 11 rows I added another row to make it slightly bigger.

He also informed me during this process that his favorite color is red.  I was thinking of an orange backing at first.  Red shouldn't surprise me too much since the only shirt he will wear to church is a red plaid button down.  He has about 4 different red plaid shirts (all very similar looking) but it is the same one every week.

Anyway, I originally thought I would add a larger border on the top and work in the words "I Spy" to his quilt.  I had found the book "Word Play Quilts" by Tonya Ricucci at the library and thought that would be a fun idea to make his quilt a little different.  I started doing it and then it just wasn't doing it for me.  I had already attached part of the border and even though I had enough fabric to make a larger one, laziness and a bit of a time crunch set it in and so I didn't pick it off and just added the wider border at each end.  I wanted to make sure the quilt would be long enough for more than 5 minutes of a growth spurt.

I love the back with the strips inserted--love those pyschedelic frogs.
He also is getting an "I Spy" list to hunt for objects.

5" cut squares
10 rows across
11 rows down
3" cut orange border
3" cut red border
6"cut top and bottom red polka dot border.
Red plaid thrifted sheet for backing and binding.


  1. This is such a cute idea. And what a memory both children will have. I love this.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...