This year I made one of my kids favs--the Santa Cookie.
We found this idea a number of years ago in the book Cookies! A Cookie Lover's Collection, pg. 204, and have tweaked it just a bit for more of our liking.
(photo courtesy of recipe book)
All you need is a basic round sugar cookie. I used our Mom's basic sugar cookie recipe below. But you could also just buy them--even easier. Try this recipe if you need a scrumptious thick sugar cookie.
- Add some white frosting.
- Red sugar sprinkles for the hat.
- Mini chocolate chips for eyes.
- 1/2 of a Mini marshmallow for the pom-pom on the hat.
- Cinnamon red hot for the nose, or a little dab of red frosting.
- Coconut (if you like it) for the beard. You could also use white sugar sprinkles.
Mom's Basic Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 c. shortening
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/3 c. milk
4 c. flour (I usually add 2, mix, then add the other 2 c.)
Bake at 350º for 8 minutes. (I find I need to bake mine 10-12 minutes on my stoneware)
NOTE: Double this recipe made 8 dozen cookies using a 2 - 3/4" diameter biscuit cutter.