Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tents and TeePees Part One--The Tent

We don't know a kid who doesn't love to make a tent--girl or boy! We've all made plenty of tents in our day, and nothing cures boredom faster than blankets draped over a couch or a table. Here is a simple way to make a permanent sort of kid tent.

This idea comes from our mom.

This tent in legendary in our family! Our mom made it when we were all kids about 30+ years ago. It is known to all of us simply as The Snoopy Tent. It is a simple concept, really. It is made to fit over a regular old card table.




She made the top out of one 42" square of fabric (measure your table to get the correct size). The sides are one continuous length of fabric (approximately 42" long times 4 sides). She sewed the sides to the top square leaving a space on the front for the door opening. She finished the bottom hem and side of the door openings with a simple double fold and top stitch. The door was just a length of fabric slightly wider than the opening that she finished with contrasting skinny double fold bias tape.

She made a circle cut in one of the sides for a window and finished it off again with contrasting skinny double fold bias tape. Amazingly enough, after 6 kids and many years of use and abuse, the window has never been torn. And, yes, this is the original Snoopy Tent--Still cool after all these years!

Stay tuned for part two--The TeePee!

5 comments:

  1. Suh-weeet!!!

    Definitely still cool after all these years. I am having some serious flashbacks of Jacob and Joseph memories. Must have played a lot in this.

    I want this when your kids have outgrown...dibs for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool fort!! I posted a link to this project at Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/cool-idea-play-tent-with-a-card-table-and-fitted-cover/2009/04/16/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh! I love this! I just ran around my house looking for my old table but I think I threw it away! Guess I need to go buy one, huh? And I don't even have little kids anymore! HA! This is a perfect project for any small kid environment. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I linked to it so my readers and I could remember this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I think I might actually be able to do this!

    Lindsey @ ErieFamilies.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...