Thursday, October 2, 2008

Like Father, like....Daughter?!?!!

My hubby is an avid (or rabid--depending on the time of year) outdoorsman and archery hunter. This year our oldest daughter L. turned 12 years old and can now hunt with him. She is extremely excited. For me that means doing some sewing with camoflauge to get her ready to hunt. I bet you didn't ever think that you would be reading about hunting and camoflauge clothing on this particular blog--but I had an inkling....this isn't the first time I've made camo clothing for the family.

So a week or so ago I had to sew like crazy to get her ready. I was working on some other projects, but they've had to take the back burner for a bit so that I could get her outfitted in time to go hunting on a Saturday morning. She is tall enough at 12 (5"6", maybe taller) and skinny enough that buying pants for her is such a nightmare that it really isn't an option. So that is where I come in to save the day.

I've been working on pants for both her and hubby, and a couple tees for them both. One thing about camoflauge is that I really think you have to be in the right mood to sew on it, and sew on it, and sew on it, which is what I've felt I've been doing. I just don't automatically get excited or inspired with projects while looking at camo fabric. And I've learned over the years that there is a wrong and a right camoflauge print pattern for the project. Hubby's print pattern of choice is Mossy Oak BreakUp. But they also make camo print patterns with names like Seclusion 3D, Autumn Aspen, Mossy Oak Grass, RealTree Hardwood, Desert Storm, Forest Floor, Superflauge Game, Advantage....and I'm sure the list can go on and on and on.

Anyway...I'm sure you've already had enough with the camo. Back to the actual project--the pants are just basic elastic waist pull on pants lined with fleece to keep them roasty toasty while they are sitting up in the tree stand waiting and waiting at "0 dark thirty". That is what time hubby tells me he is getting up when it is a hunting day. Well, hopefully there will not be too much waiting because we sure would like some venison to put in the freezer.

The pants turned out great, if I do say so, and hubby was quite impressed with the pockets. He usually is quite particular about his hunting apparel. He'll draw out pictures for me of the "options" he wants as far as pockets, which he did for these pants--a little cargo style pocket down on the leg with a button flap closure, whether he wants them lined or not, or some other special feature. Or he'll direct me to some article of clothing in the Cabela's magazine or some other hunting magazine to show me what he was thinking about having made.

This time around I even reinforced the pockets with half of a snap so that they are "riveted" like regular jeans that you would buy in the store. I've had problems in the past with hubby tearing pockets after lots of use, so I this should solve the problem. And it looks pretty good, too.
If you haven't ever tried drawstring elastic it is really cool stuff. This is what it looks like before you pull the drawstring. It is nice to have so you can adjust the waist for a variety of situations (lots of layers or not so many underneath) or if more than one person may be using the garment (one person slightly more skinny than another--I am anticipating this with upcoming children who may go hunting with hubby.)Once you determine the position of the drawstring you can then pull it out of the elastic--make sure you've already sewn your elastic loop together. Then you just put it in like you would normally use elastic--only difference is you need a buttonhole exit for the drawstring, either on the inside of the pants waistband, or outside, whichever you prefer. This will have to be done before you sew the casing.

I got tired of trying to get the two of them together and take their picture actually wearing the pants. Oh well, hope that you can get the idea anyway.

2 comments:

  1. wow, Renae. I don't care for camo fabric myself, but the quality is amazing. you have definitely sealed your title as hard core sewer. I wouldn't not even attempt this....ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Les! Once again, your stuff looks professional--not homemade!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...