Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My very own version of "mom jeans"

To my horror I recently became aware that I am guilty of "mom jeans". Maybe not literally, but in spirit. It was brought to my attention by my sweet husband. Apparantly he is getting tired of looking at me in a white Hanes t-shirt. Who can blame him? It didn't even hurt my feelings. Honestly. (Even I was surprised it didn't hurt my feelings...must of caught me on an unemotional day). It's true. I pretty much wear one every single day. Like those horrifying mom jeans, it's a look that says "I'm staying inside today and my baby will probably spit up on me several times so why bother". I have strong feelings about apparal, but I can't seem to get a grasp on this mommy transition. What do I do? I love my pre-baby wardrobe. It was truly lovely and mostly dry clean only. Not practical and most of it does not fit my breastfeeding chest anyway. And I'm still unable to zip those pencil skirts all the way. I may never fit into them again. And that's ok. (not great, but OK).

In response to my hubby's observation I said, "You're right. I can do better than this." So I'm on a mission (with his 100% support). I'm still a woman. I haven't given up...I just look like I have. I need a daily mommy wardrobe and I need it to be cheap, washable, and pretty. I need to not care if baby L pukes all over it or be devastated if it is ruined by some other mommy incident.

This is what I've decided my mommy stand-by's are going to be: great jeans, feminine tops in very bright colors or florals, cute drop earrings and colorful ballet flats. And maybe I'll throw a few skirts in the mix because we are approaching summer.

Found some patterns and now I'm waiting for the 99cent sale again.

view D is what I have in mind

McCalls 5388
Simplicity 2892

{P.S. maybe you have your own version of mom jeans lingering in your life. Get rid of it! Let's all do it together and beautify our closet.}

3 comments:

  1. I know what you are talking about!! I need a revamp of wardrobe as well! As most of my pre-baby clothes are sadly still too tight. :) Hopefully tax returns will come soon so I can have a shopping spree for myself!! Thanks for the post! I think it's funny now that I think about it, I get L all dressed up for the day, but why not myself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still working on it, but whatever... I learned from someone on Oprah that it takes just as much time to put on a cute outfit as an ugly one. That's always stuck with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is funny! I have mom jeans too... I used to be a skirts and heels kinda girl, but once I became a stay home mom that all went out the door. I miss dressing up!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...